Lesson 2: Joining a Meeting
Joining a Meeting
You can join a Zoom meeting using an invitation link or through your web browser. Let's go over both of these options...
Clicking an Invitation Link
- This is the easiest way to join a meeting. When you click the link (usually sent via email or text), you will see a pop-up at the top of the screen. If you click Open zoom.us, it will take you through the process of downloading the app.
- If you want to avoid downloading the app, click Cancel. Then click the blue button that says Launch Meeting, and Cancel (in the pop-up) once more.
- Then click Join from Your Browser at the bottom of the screen. There might be a pop-up which asks if Zoom can use your microphone and camera. If there is one, click Allow.
- Then enter your name in the box provided. Adjust your microphone and camera settings as needed, and when you're ready to join the meeting, click the blue button that says Join.
- If you see a message that The meeting has not started, the host isn't logged into Zoom yet. You'll be in there soon enough!
Remember: As with any link in an email, verify that the email is legitimate. Do you know the sender, and were you expecting a Zoom invitation from them? If not, don't open the link. To learn more about phishing, check out our lesson Avoiding Spam and Phishing.
Using a Web Browser
- Go to zoom.us, and then click Join a Meeting on the top right-hand side. Then enter the Meeting ID or Personal Link Name, which you will find in your invitation from the host. Then click Join.
- In the pop-up window, click Cancel to avoid downloading the app. Click the blue button that says Launch Meeting, and then Cancel in the pop-up once more.
- Then click Join from Your Browser at the bottom of the screen. In the pop-up, allow Zoom to access your microphone and camera. Type your name for the meeting and adjust your microphone and camera settings as needed.
- When you're ready to join, click the blue button. You might see Enter Meeting Passcode. You'll also find this in your invitation from the host.
- Once you copy/paste the passcode, click Join. If you see Please wait, the meeting host will let you in soon, that means you're in the waiting room, and the host must approve your entry.
Joining from the App: If you've already downloaded the app and want to join a meeting, click the blue Join button from the app's main screen. From there you can enter the Meeting ID, your name, and the passcode. The Meeting ID and passcode can be found in your invitation from the host.
Give yourself plenty of time to complete these steps before the meeting begins. Sometimes Zoom will start an update once you open the app, which takes a few minutes. If you're having problems with your video or audio, you may need to restart your computer.