How to print
Let’s cover the basic steps for how to print, along with a few helpful pointers.
- Make sure your printer is set up and that it’s turned on. If you need help setting up your printer, check out our lesson in the tutorial Basic Computer Skills.
- Find and open the file that you would like to print.
- Regardless of which program you’re using, Print is always located under File in the upper toolbar. Usually it’s toward the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- In the pop-up window, simply click the Print button once. This will print one copy.
Some extra tips
- Be sure to double-check the length of your document. If you only need to print a few pages, you can adjust the page range in the pop-up.
- If you notice the printer you’re using isn’t listed, that means it isn’t set up yet, or it isn’t connected to your WiFi network.
- If it’s offline and you keep trying to print, you’ll see the print jobs start backing up into what’s called a queue. You might need to clear the queue and then restart your printer. That way you don’t end up with a bunch of copies you don’t need.
If you need more help with troubleshooting, visit the lesson about setting up your printer and scroll down. There you will find solutions to printing problems you might run into.