Lesson 13: Inserting, Deleting, and Modifying Objects
By the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Recognize the AutoShape objects that Publisher provides
- Insert objects
- Delete objects
- Arrange—or layer—objects in a specific order
- Use the Snap feature to snap objects to other objects and guides
Working with objects
Watch the video! (12:19 min)
AutoShapes in Publisher are a group of shapes you can add to your publications. Shape options include stars, banners, lines, triangles, and much more. AutoShapes are considered a Publisher object, just like text boxes and images. Similar to all Publisher objects, AutoShapes can be stacked or arranged in a different order. To help with layout, Publisher allows you to align— or snap—objects to other objects or guides.
To insert a rectangle:
- Click the Rectangle icon on the Object toolbar.
- The insert shape cursor (two crossed lines) will appear.
- Click and drag your mouse to draw the rectangle.
- Add fill color and line color using the formatting toolbar.
- Resize and move the shape as needed.
- You can also insert ovals, arrows, and lines using the corresponding buttons on the Objects toolbar.
To insert an AutoShape:
- Click the Insert AutoShape Icon on the formatting toolbar.
- Click and drag the cursor to draw the AutoShape to a desired size.
- Release the mouse, and the shape will appear.
- Add fill and line color.
To delete an object or AutoShape:
- Select the object to delete.
- Press the Delete key or right-click and select delete.
You can order or change the way objects stack or overlap in your publication. If two or more objects overlap, you can change the order:
- Select the object you want to move forward or backward.
- Go to the main menu and select ArrangeOrder.
- Select how you want to move the selected object.
- Click OK.
To use the Snap feature:
- Select ArrangeSnap from the Main menu.
- Select a Snap option.
- Other objects will snap or align with the nearest object.
- Ruler guides will snap or align to the nearest ruler guide.
To use ruler guides:
- Click and drag the vertical or horizontal ruler. A guide will appear. Click and drag the guide to reposition it.
- Move an object near the guide. It will snap to the guide.
If you have not already done so in a previous challenge, download and save the sample newsletter publication to complete this challenge.
- Open the Sample Newsletter publication.
- Navigate to the We Believe... section on the second page of the newsletter:
- Insert a star AutoShape and apply a fill color to it.
- Insert an oval so it overlaps with the star. Apply a fill color to the oval.
- Arrange the star so it is in front of the oval.
- Group the oval and star.
- Snap the group to another object.
- Save and close the newsletter to use in the next challenge.