Lesson 16: Adding Text Boxes
By the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Insert a text box using the Objects toolbar
- Insert a text box using the main menu
- Deselect a text box
Inserting text boxes
Watch the video! (5:23 min)
In addition to all the options available for changing and formatting text, Publisher allows you to insert as many text boxes as you want into your publications.
To insert a text box:
- Click the Text box icon on the Objects toolbar, or select InsertText box on the main menu. The cursor changes to two crossed lines.
- Click and drag the mouse to create a text box of any size. You can always resize or move it later.
- Enter your text into the new text box.
Using the AutoFit option
While you can always adjust the text in a text box by using the font tools on the Formatting toolbar, Publisher allows you to AutoFit text so it will shrink or expand automatically when you resize the text box.
- Select FormatAutoFit.
- Select from the AutoFit options:
- Do Not AutoFit: This is the default option.
- Best Fit: Publisher will try to fit the text without making it too small.
- Shrink Text On Overflow: Publisher will make the text as small as necessary to fit with the text box.
- Resize the text box, and observe how publisher modifies the text.
Once you are done working with a text box, click anywhere outside of the box to deselect it.
Use the publication you created in the last challenge, or create a new blank publication to complete this challenge.
- Open your blank publication.
- Insert a new text box into the document, and complete the following:
- Enter several lines of text.
- Set the AutoFit to Best Fit.
- Resize the text box to see how Publisher tries to AutoFit the text.
- Save and close the publication to use in the next challenge.