Lesson 1: What is Office 2000?
IntroductionOffice 2000 is Microsoft's software suite that is typically used in an office setting. Learn basic skills common in Word 2000, Excel 2000, PowerPoint 2000, and Access 2000. Topics include menus, toolbars, dialog boxes, new files, save, print, cut, copy, and paste.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Discuss Microsoft Office 2000's basic features
What is Microsoft Office 2000?
Microsoft Office 2000 is an application suite. The applications included in Office 2000 (such as Word and Excel) are designed to work together, making typical office tasks easier.
Everyone has different computing needs.
In response, Microsoft offers different versions of Office 2000:
- Office 2000 Standard
- Office 2000 Professional
- Office 2000 Small Business
- Office 2000 Premium
- Office 2000 Developer
Most home users need basic desktop productivity tools. In this case, Office 2000 Standard may be the best choice.
Office 2000 Standard includes:
- Word (word processing software)
- Excel (spreadsheet and analysis)
- PowerPoint (presentation graphics)
- Outlook (email)
What version of Microsoft Office do I have?
Here is a simple test:
- If you have Word 97, you have Office 97.
- If you have Word 6.0, you have Office 4.x.
- If you have Works, you do not own a version of Microsoft Office.
Why upgrade to Microsoft Office 2000?
Depending on which version of Office you currently have, there are many reasons to upgrade to 2000.
Here are just a few:
- Copy and paste multiple items.
- See type font styles before you choose them.
- Send e-mail directly from your Office programs.
I have a Macintosh. Can I use Office?
Yes! Office 2001 for Mac is available. Visit the Macintosh section of Microsoft's website at www.microsoft.com/mac to learn more.
How to buy Microsoft Office 2000
- Buy it off the shelf at a brick-and-mortar office superstore, discount store or electronics store.
- Shop online at www.microsoft.com (this is typically the most expensive option).
- If you are a student or teacher, check out www.JourneyEd.com. You may be eligible for educational discounts.
- Take some time to look around, on and off the Web. The prices for Office 2000 can vary considerably, and smart shopping can really pay off!
- Think about your computing needs, both now and in the future.
- Before you buy, make an educated decision. Go to www.microsoft.com to learn more about your Office 2000 options.
- Research all options. Go online and read some reviews at www.zdnet.com. Pick up the latest version of PC Magazine or Smart Computing. Ask your friends and family what they prefer.