Lesson 6: Bonus Resource: Hemingway's Iceberg Theory
Hemingway's Iceberg Theory
The term iceberg thinking was inspired by author Ernest Hemingway’s iceberg theory, a writing style in which deeper themes are hidden beneath the surface storyline. These themes were often taboo, or rarely discussed openly due to the times.
- Read the very short story “Hills Like White Elephants” either silently or aloud. (Teachers: Please note that this story explores mature themes).
- Learners can discuss the following questions in pairs or small groups before addressing them as a larger group.
- The couple’s conversation is dancing around a subject that’s bothering them. What do you think it is?
- How would you describe the couple’s dynamic?
- How do elements of the setting connect to what’s unsaid?