Lesson 23: Changing Ownership of a Doc
Changing ownership of a doc
When you own a Google Doc, you have total control over user permissions, and you can delete the doc whenever you please. In this lesson, you'll learn how to transfer ownership and those responsibilities onto someone else.
Watch the video below to learn about transferring ownership.
How to transfer ownership of a doc:
- Open a Google Doc that you are the owner of, then click the Share button.
- You'll see a list of everyone you've shared the document with. You can also use the Add people and groups field to share the document with someone else. For more info, go to our Sharing and Collaborating lesson.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the person who you want to make the new owner and select Make Owner.
- Click Yes to confirm this permanent change.
- That person immediately becomes the owner of the document. Your permission will change to Editor, unless the new owner changes it to something else. Also, you will no longer be able to delete the document.
This feature does have a few restrictions. For instance, you cannot transfer ownership from the mobile app. Also, if your Google Account is through your work or school, you cannot transfer ownership with anyone outside of that organization.