If you don't have a smartphone or if you don't have consistent Internet connectivity on your phone you can still use Facebook on the go with Facebook texts. This feature allows you to post status updates and send messages by sending text messages from your phone. However, Facebook texts don't offer much other functionality—if you do have a smartphone, we strongly recommend using the Facebook mobile app instead.
Note that standard text messaging rates will apply, so you'll want to have a texting plan for your phone if you use this feature.
To sign up for Facebook texts:
- Click the drop-down arrow on the toolbar, then select Settings.
- The settings page will appear. Select Mobile, then click Add a Phone.
- A dialog box will appear. Enter your country, your phone number, and choose whether you'd like to receive a text or a phone call to confirm your number. Then click Continue.
- After a few minutes, you should receive a confirmation code.
- Return to Facebook and enter the confirmation code in the dialog box. Uncheck the boxes if you don't want your phone number posted on your Timeline or to receive Facebook messages as texts, then click Next.
- Facebook texts will be activated, and your Facebook text settings will appear. From here, you can change your phone number, set a limit on the number of texts you'll receive each day, and more.
To post a status update with Facebook texts:
- Text your status update as a message to 32665.
- The status update will be posted to Facebook using your default privacy settings.
Visit this page from Facebook to learn more about what you can do with Facebook texts.