Lesson 13: Creating a Facebook Page
What is a Facebook page?
Many companies and organizations now use Facebook Pages instead of creating their own websites, or as another way to connect with the people who use their services. A Page allows you to post basic information about your organization on Facebook. Once you've created a Page, you can then invite people to like the Page and share posts and updates with them. Anyone who likes the Page can also leave reviews, ask questions, and more.
Visit the GCFLearnFree.org Facebook Page to see how we use this feature to share updates about the site and answer questions from our users.
To create a Facebook page:
You must already have your own Facebook account before you can create a Facebook Page. If you don't have an account, review our lesson on getting started with Facebook.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the toolbar, then select Create Page.
- Choose either Business or Brand or Community or Public Figure as your Page category.
- Enter a Page Name and Category, then click Continue.
- Upload a profile picture and a cover photo for your Page.
- The Facebook page will appear. From here, you can customize your page, invite people to like the page, create posts, and more.
Customizing a Facebook page
There are many ways to customize the appearance of your Facebook page. Here are some basic tips that will help to make your page look more polished and professional.
- Use large, high-quality images for your profile picture and cover photo.
- Choose a short name for the page because it will also be the page URL. In our example, the URL is https://www.facebook.com/SongbirdBakeryRaleigh.
- If you want people to be able to leave reviews on your page, you will need to include a street address for the organization.
Using a Facebook page
After you create a Facebook page, you'll be the only person who can edit the page information and post updates to the page's Timeline. However, if you'd like to give other people permission to do these things, you can add them as page administrators. To add a page administrator, click Settings near the top-right, then select Page Roles.
Managing a Facebook page
While there are many ways to manage a page, these tips should help you get started.
- Share responsibly. Just like with your personal Facebook account, it's important to think before you share. A Facebook page is a public face for your organization, so it’s best not to share anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory.
- Engage your audience. Many people create pages as a way to promote their businesses and post advertisements on Facebook. While there's nothing wrong with using a Facebook page this way, it's important to make sure the things you share will be relevant to the people who've liked your page. Posting constant advertisements and updates may become annoying to followers, which could lead them to unlike or unfollow your page.
- Experiment. There's no formula for creating a successful Facebook page, so you'll want to try different things to see what works best for you and your audience. One suggestion is to spend some time reviewing more popular Facebook pages. Pay attention to the types of posts they share, and see how they connect with their followers.
If you want even more information on Facebook pages, we recommend these resources: