Lesson 15: Downloading Apps from the Windows Store
The Windows Store
The Windows Store is where you'll download new apps for your Windows 8 device, much like the App Store for Apple devices. Most apps are designed to run from the Start screen. In this lesson, you'll learn how to browse the store, download and install apps, and update apps when necessary.
You'll need to sign in with your Microsoft account to use the Windows Store. Check out our Microsoft Account tutorial to learn more about creating a Microsoft account.
- To open the Windows Store, locate and select Store on the Start screen.
Opening the Store
Navigating the Store
Apps in the Store are sorted by category, such as Games, Shopping, and Social Networking.
Categories in the Windows Store
To browse categories:
- To browse categories, locate and select the category heading above each category.
Navigating to categories in the Store
- The selected category will appear. Click an app to see the app information page.
Clicking an app to see more information
To search for apps, use the search bar in the top-right corner.
Viewing app information
When you select an app, you'll see more details on the app information page, including the price, user reviews, and requested permissions.
The app information page
The store features thousands of apps that you can download and install. Many are free or moderately priced, making it easy to find and enjoy new apps. Your downloaded apps will be associated with your Microsoft account, so you'll only have to purchase apps once.
To install an app:
- From the Store, locate and select the app you wish to install.
Clicking an app
- The app information page will appear. If the app is free, click the Install button. If the app has a price, click the Buy button and then follow the directions on the screen. You'll be able to add or edit your credit card information if desired.
Clicking the Install button
- The app will begin downloading and will be installed automatically. A notification will appear when the app has been installed.
An app installation notification
- The installed app will appear on the Start screen.
The installed app on the Start screen
You can try certain apps for a limited time before deciding to purchase them. Just click the Try button (when available) to download a demo of the app.
Downloading a demo of an app
You may find some apps in the store that are designed to work only in the Desktop view. After navigating to the app information page, click Go to publisher's website and then follow the instructions to download and install the app.
Installing a Desktop app from the Store
To uninstall an app:
- Locate and right-click the desired app on the Start screen, then select Uninstall.
- A dialog box will appear. Select Uninstall.
Uninstalling an app
- The app will be uninstalled from your computer.
Installing apps to another Windows 8 device
Apps may periodically receive updates, which can help keep them running smoothly and even add features. If updates are available for any of your apps, a link for Updates will appear in the top-right corner of the store.
Checking for app updates
To update apps:
- If any updates are available, locate and select Updates in the top-right corner of the store.
- Any apps with available updates will appear. Click the Install button at the bottom of the screen to download and install app updates.
- The updates will be downloaded and installed.
The completed updates
You may also notice available updates from the Start screen if the Store tile is active as a live tile.
Updates on the tile