Lesson 15: Adding Transition
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Add a transition
- Set up a slide show
- Preview a slide show
Adding a transition
Once you've completed all of your slides, create a cohesive presentation by adding a transition. You can move from slide to slide with interesting transitions that affect the timing, entrance, and exit of your slides. A transition is an effect that is applied to some or all of the slides in a presentation.
To make transitions from slide to slide:
- Click Slide ShowSlide Transition.
- In the task pane, click the down-pointing arrow and select Slide Transition.
- In the Slide Transition pane, choose the effect you want from the drop-down menu, such as Blinds Horizontal, Blinds Vertical, or Box In and Box Out.
- Automatically preview each transition by clicking on it. (AutoPreview must be selected).
- Click Apply to All when you have chosen an effect.
- Choose to advance from slide to slide on mouse click or automatically after the number of seconds you select.
- To see how your transition works, preview the slide show. Learn more about this later in the lesson.
Some transitions work well with effects that have been added to text and graphics. Others do not. Preview a variety of transitions before finalizing your slide presentation.
Previewing a slide show
If you want to get an idea of what your completed show will look like to an audience, preview it. PowerPoint allows you to view your show in slide show format.
To preview a slide show:
- Click ViewSlide Show (F5).
- Click Slide ShowView Show.
- Click the Slide Show button to start the presentation.
- To move to the next slide, click the mouse, space bar, or Enter key.
- When the screen goes dark, click the screen to return to the PowerPoint screen.
- You can exit the slide show by pressing ESC on the keyboard at any time.
If you have set the slides to advance automatically, you don't need to click through the slides. Just sit back and enjoy the show. At the end of the show, left-click your mouse to return to the PowerPoint screen.
Setting up a slide show
Once you have created a presentation and previewed it, set up a show. Take the necessary steps to make sure your slides are ready for a real audience.
To set up a slide show:
- Click Slide Show Set Up Show.
- The Set Up Show dialog box appears.
- Choose your show type. Typically, it's presented by a speaker.
- Choose which slides you will show. For example, all slides or slides 3 through 12.
- Choose show options. You can leave these blank unless you're planning to run a show continuously on a kiosk or want to show it without animation.
- Decide how you plan to advance your slides.
- Click OK.
- Open the My Hobbies presentation or the Where I Learn presentation you worked on in the previous challenge.
- Add a transition.
- Preview it in Slide Show view.
- Set up your show.