Lesson 36: Creating a Table of Contents
Creating a table of contents
Writing assignments like research papers or annual reports can become long and uneasy to manage. A table of contents can add structure to your document and help readers find what they’re looking for.
It also provides easy navigation when the document is printed as a PDF or Word document. In this lesson, you'll learn how to create, format, and add a table of contents to your document.
Watch the video to learn how to create a table of contents in Google Docs.
Creating table of contents
To create a table of contents, you’ll need to use headings.
- Highlight the title of a section.
- Click the Styles menu and select a heading.
- Once you create a heading style for each section, click where you want the table of contents to go.
- Click Insert. Hover the mouse over Table of contents.
- Select a layout style. One layout has blue links, while the other shows page numbers. However, they both work the same way.
- Use the toolbar to edit and format the text as you please.
- If you’d like to go to a particular section, click it, then click the link in the box.
To add a section:
- To add a new section, create a new heading.
- Click the table of contents and select the Refresh icon.
To update or delete:
- Right-click the table of contents, and use the menu to update or delete it.