Lesson 1: Getting Started
Google Keep is a note-taking app that lets you easily create notes and reminders to help you keep track of your thoughts. By logging in to your Google Account, you can access them anytime using any device. In this lesson, we'll teach you the basics of Google Keep.
Watch the video below to get started with Google Keep.
Google Keep mobile app
To follow along, you’ll need to have downloaded the Google Keep app to your smartphone.
Also, you'll need to log in to your Google Account.
In our example, we are using an iPhone so there may be some subtle differences if you are using an Android phone.
Create a note
- From the app’s home screen, tap the plus icon to start a new note.
- Then, type your thoughts into the field.
- Adding a Title is optional, but it can help you organize your notes better.
- Then, tap the back arrow to create the note.
- To return to it, all you have to do is tap the note from the home screen.
Create a checklist
- First, tap the plus icon.
- From the toolbar above the keyboard, tap the square plus icon.
- From the menu, tap Checkboxes.
- Next, tap List item.
- You can now type your checklist followed by adding an optional Title. When you are done, tap the back arrow to create the note.
- When you are ready to check off something, simply tap the note from the home screen. Then, tap the list item.
If you no longer need a note, you can choose to either Archive it or Delete it. Archive means moving it from your Notes screen to the Archive folder. Deleting means that it is moved to Trash and will be deleted permanently after 7 days.
Create a reminder
- Tap the plus icon to create a new note.
- Type your reminder and add a Title if you want one. Next, tap the bell plus icon.
- You can pick the day and time for the reminder.
- If the reminder needs to repeat, you can set up repetitive reminders.
- To add the address, the Pick place tab can help you. You may need to enable location settings to use this feature.
- Click the checkmark icon to add the reminder. You may need to enable notifications within your phone’s settings, to see the reminder on your phone.
- Tap the back arrow to have the reminder added to the home screen.
Google Keep for desktop
After logging into your Google Account, click the Google apps icon. From the apps menu, click Keep.
You’ll see the notes from the mobile process here because Google Keep syncs across all devices.
Create a note
- Click the Take a note… field.
- You can type your note and add an optional Title.
- Just like we did in the mobile app, you can click the bell plus icon to make this note a reminder with the day, time, and place.
- To make a checklist, click the More icon, followed by Show checkboxes.
- When you are done creating your note, click Close to have the note show up on the home page.
When you no longer need the note, you can select Delete note or the Archive icon to return to it later.
On the home page, click the Main menu icon to open or close the left pane.
This is where you can see your scheduled Reminders, find notes in the Archive, and see notes you’ve put in the Trash to permanently delete.
When you are switching devices, you can open up Google Keep and log in to your Google Account to see that your notes and reminders are easy to access anytime. Everything is simply kept in the app.